Sex is something you might think about from time to time. How about thyroid problems? Not really! But one can connect to the other. When the thyroid isn’t functioning properly, the effects can be noticeable in the bedroom.Hormonal disorders including an underactive thyroid i.e. hypothyroidismare responsible for one-third of sexual problems people experience. Hypothyroidismcan lower sex drive and can lead to a lower quality sex life.
Types of sexual problems due to an underactive thyroid:
- Low sex drive: Diminished libido often is a complication of an underactive thyroid.
- Erectile dysfunction: The inability to get an erection or to keep one that’s firm enough for sex can be one of the hypothyroidism symptoms in men.
- Delayed ejaculation: Men who have hypothyroidism have an increased risk of delayed ejaculation which is one of the hypothyroidism symptoms in men.
- Pain during and after sex: Low levels of thyroid hormone are associated with vaginal dryness, which can result in discomfort during intercourse. This is one of the hypothyroidism symptoms in females.
Let’s hear some good news now. Fortunately, most sexual problems go away when hypothyroidism is treated. Conventional medicines for hypothyroidism involve daily use of synthetic thyroid hormone tablets. This medicine restores the thyroid hormones to normal levels and helps to reverse signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism. The dosage of the medicine depends on the severity of the individual case and if you are suffering from any other disease as well, the doses are adjusted accordingly. Generally, conventional medicines for hypothyroidism have to be taken life-long.
Homeopathy offers great scope in hypothyroidism treatment for several reasons. All that is possible through conventional treatment is to keep symptoms under control. Nonetheless, in due course, signs of hypothyroidismalong with a disturbance in bodily functions such as menstrual irregularities, weight gain and mood swings, continue despite taking a regular dose of thyroid medicines. In some cases, it is also observed that the prescription needs to be increased with time.
Homeopathy treats hypothyroidism with safe, natural medicines without any dire side-effects. The homeopathic medicine for hypothyroidism is selected according to the patient’s mental state and other physical characteristics. Homeopathy is a tailored treatment option as it treats each case as unique because the degree of symptoms and disturbance of emotions might vary from case to case.
Let’s take a look at some self-help tips to maintain a healthy sex life when you have hypothyroidism.
- Communicate with your partner: Your partner can become frustrated or even hurt if you’re not open to having sex. Therefore, instead of keeping your partner in the darkness, it’s always best to explain the concerns. Make sure your partner is also on board and you need not be worried that you’re no longer attracted or loved.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Hypothyroidism can translate into fatigue and a tendency to increase body mass, which can result in significant weight gain. When you gain weight, you often develop a negative body image, which has been shown to lower your libido and sexual activity. Losing weight can have a progressive effect on your thyroid imbalance and help increaseconfidence, making you more prospective to want to involve in sexual activity. Eat a healthy diet, control your portion sizes, exercise regularly, and take your hypothyroidism medication as prescribed. All these can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Get more sleep: One of the most common symptoms of hypothyroidism is fatigue. Low levels of thyroid hormone can affect weight, making you feel too tired to exercise and interfering with your ability to get a good night’s sleep – allof which can contribute to fatigue. These are some of the side-effects of hypothyroidism. Moreover, fatigue can affect your desire to have sex. Getting more sleep can help you.